I don’t really feel like talking about comics today.
Of course I still loves me the comics, but sometimes I feel like because I write this blog that comic books assume an exaggerated position of importance in my life. And I hate to say this, but sometimes – sometimes – I just don’t want to read comics, or talk about them, or think about them. Like today. I’m just not feelin’ it today.
So I’m torn: do I deviate from the Dave’s Long Box Mission and post whatever I feel like talking about, or do I just not post at all because I have nothing to say about comics? I’m a big fan of blogs that choose a specific focus or format and stick with it. I’m not saying that a comic blog shouldn’t be able to go off-topic (I do), but it bugs me sometimes when I go to a comic blog and half the time they’re talking about their cat or bathroom etiquette or whatever. If you want to talk about your cat, go for it, but maybe you should change the name of your blog to “John’s Comic Book / Mr. Wiggins The Cutest Cat In The World Blog.”
I don’t know, maybe I should have an Off-Topic Week where I just get all the non-comic related stuff out of my system. That’s not a bad idea.
I could talk about stuff like:
- What is my cat Po meowing about now? What pressing business could a cat have at three in the morning that requires me to get out of bed? She has food, she doesn’t want to go outside, she has water – WHAT DOES SHE WANT FROM ME?
- That one asshole at work that I hate.
- Enough with the fucking ring tones, already. I get it, you have the Mission: Impossible theme on your phone. Does that mean that you can’t answer the damn thing promptly? You need everybody within 20 feet to hear the entire fucking Mission: Impossible theme? Hey, asshole: your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to answer your damn phone.
- The draconian smoking ban in Washington State. I don’t even smoke, and I think it’s bullshit. Not only can you not smoke in a bar, but if you’re outside, you have to be 25 feet from a window, vent, or doorway. In the street, perhaps? Why don’t we just round all the smokers up and ship them to work camps while we’re at it?
- The state initiative process that got us this stupid smoking ban in the first place. Here in Washington we have an initiative process that allows total idiots to pass laws by popular decree. You think everybody should wear pirate hats on Tuesday? Get enough signatures on your petition and get that on the ballot! News flash: there are people whose job it is to pass laws. They’re called legislators. You vote for them.
- The left lane on the freeway is the fast lane. For the love of all that is good and pure, move to the right and let me pass you!
- The temp in my office who uses an entire roll of toilet paper to wipe his ass, then clogs the toilet. Is your ass that nasty that you need to kill a tree every time you crap?
Hey, I feel better! I think I got that out of my system. Now I can return to more important issues, like who would win in a fight: Spider-Man or Darth Vader? Who ya got?