Tuesday, February 21, 2006

COLONIA: ON INTO THE GREAT LANDS AiT/PlanetLar 2005



Colonia: On Into the Great Lands is so clearly a work of love that you can smell it. This comic book stinks of love, my friends.

Created by writer/artist Jeff Nicholson, Colonia is a story set in a weird parallel 17th century America full of mythical beasts and figures of folklore, pirates, fish-men, and all manner of trippy stuff. It is an idiosyncratic, charmingly eccentric comic that clearly reflects the creator’s obsessions, but it works as a broad all-ages fantasy at the same time. Colonia has all the eccentric, surreal whimsy of a Terry Gilliam movie.

On Into the Great Lands collects issue 6-11 of Nicholson’s bi-monthly homebrew comic. It’s the continuing story of Jack and his two redneck uncles, lost in time and trapped in a mythical New World that is fascinating and unnerving…


Nicholson has a deft sense of timing and a quirky sense of humor that serves Colonia well. He’s not afraid to spend a couple panels on a joke or a bit of droll dialogue, but it never feels like he’s padding the comic.


Jake and his uncles and his talking duck travel reluctantly with a bunch of pirates – most notably Cinnabar, a pompous and greedy pirate who is my favorite character in Colonia. Cinnabar would be played by Gary Oldman in the movie.

The thing I like best about Colonia is that it is the product of Nicholson’s singular artistic vision. In the foreword in this volume, he talks about starting the series in 1999 and writing and penciling and inking and lettering and marketing each issue while holding down a day job. He quit his job and produced Colonia full-time, but as Big Daddy Kane tells us, pimpin’ ain’t easy. Nicholson returned to day job land and is slowly producing Colonia by hand – the next volume may be in a year or so.

This is a guy who digs comics, and digs pirates and the New World and history and all that stuff and he just decided to bust a move and make his own comic. Jeff Nicholson’s off in a corner somewhere sipping Earl Grey tea and quietly cranking out more Colonia pages and I think that’s cool as hell.

In a few years when the next volume comes out, I’ll be there, full-on.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A post of sincerity and honest enthusiasm? I don't know what to say! I've never heard of this comic but now you're making me want to check it out. Thanks for the tip.

zailo said...

I know that they have collected Ultra Klutz into several volumes. I hope that this helps subsidize more Colonia perhaps.

D said...

Pirates + comics= F*@% YEAH!

Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear pirates and comics in one sentence I always think of Mike Shea and the Watchmen and that little black kid. I still mourn the loss of Bubastis.

Anonymous said...

I love Colonia and I love Ultra Klutz. Nicholson's a deft storyteller, and he's got a great, bent sense of humor.

smokedog said...

If my memory serves me correctly, Jeff Nicholson's Ultra Klutz was one of the best things to come out of the black & white boom of the mid-80's. I'll definitely give Colonia a look.

Anonymous said...

Off topic--I just bought issue 1 of John Ostrander's Suicide Squad, and in the letters page, where editor Bob Greenberger talks about the genesis of the series, he says--

"During our many conversations, I told John that Rick Flag wshould have osme edge on teh team he's leading. To that end, I suggested RIck operate a state-of-the-art helicopter, ala Blue Thunder or Airwolf. Now I admit that I am a big fan of Airwolf, so this was a bit of wish fulfillment..."

So now we know why Suicide Squad is one of the most Airwolf comics ever!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this series, but now I'll buy it. Thanks, Dave!

Wizard of Us said...

Nicholson's Through the Habittrails is one of the four or five greatest comics I have ever read, and one of the few books that I have bought repeatedly just to give to friends.

Osborn said...

Oh my god, there's a great deal of useful material in this post!
site

Simon said...

I read a lot of helpful info in this post!
mortgage payment calculator | wooden rings | business casual women